Monday, January 4, 2010

100 Small Steps Challenge: The Fifth Week



Day 29: Monday 28 Dec

I decided today that for every session I complete as per my training schedule I will 'donate' (contribute) an amount (I'll be writing a post on that soon) towards my glamour photo shoot which I'll have when I achieve my goal body composition targets (at this stage I'm thinking of 18% body fat). I don't just want to have the photo sitting though - I want to put together a whole album of the new-and-improved version of the AMAZING me! I already know that's going to cost a mountain and a half!

The tin which I'll use for the above purpose was 'decorated with love' by Michelle and given to me at the Craig Harper Melbourne meet up at Marlo's Cafe in Bentleigh (not far from Harper's - Craig's amazingly huge PT studio in Brighton) on Saturday July 4, 2009. I actually requested the colours and design of the purple and yellow stars. I have a special place in my heart for the Starlight Children's Foundation and one day I have a dream (correction: a goal) to fundraise enough to fund a child's wish. That'd be $5,000. I aim on making a start on that early in the New Year so if anyone has any ideas and wants to climb aboard, just leave me a comment - I'd be delighted to hear from you.

I also made my family a (slightly late) steamed Chrissy pudding this morning. And, how's this for focus: I didn't eat a single sultana or lick the bowl/spoon. And I had no desire to. That is progress.  [Nor will I have a single slice of pudding either] Although it has been the case for a good 10 weeks now, I'd say. I'm committed. I have got a mountain to climb. Mera Peak, 6476m above sea level, Sep 5-28, 2010

---
Day 30:  Tuesday Dec 29

I returned to see my new GP this morning to get my blood test results that I had last week, and to have (another) Boostrix ipv vaccine (it's the dTPA - diptheria, tetanus, putussis acerella and polio too). The injection wasn't all that bad and I didn't have a dead left arm after either like I had anticipated. My blood tests were all pretty much normal too.

---
Day 31: Wednesday Dec 30

Today I went up to the shops for a couple of things. One of those things was this Lorna Jane tee with "WHAT-EVER IT TAKES" on it. It's cool, huh? It is to be my 72.5 kg reward. And it is to stay in its pink LJ bag till then. It's going to KILL me... it won't really! [LJ had a store-wide sale 20% off all full priced items too - so bonus! I saved $6.00.]

Hurry up Jules - lose your next 2.5 kg will ya!

---
Day 32: Thursday Dec 31

Hired seven DVD's with intention of having a movie marathon for New Year's Eve with my (new) friend from work, Sierra. But she had to work tomorrow morning and she piked (understandably). Funny thing was I piked on my own movie marathon too! I was too tired to stay up to see in the new year. I crawled into bed at 11:30 PM (Bris time). However I saw some of the Sydney fireworks on Foxtel.

I made lasagne instead for my boys (Dad and brother). And Mum too. But the boys really don't know how to fend for themselves in the food department. Either that or they just choose not to for whatever reason. So, I thought I'd help out with a big tray of vegetarian lasagne. It really is beautiful. I love it. But it's so cheesy and full of carbs with the pasta sheets. So, again, it's business as usual for me, and I choose not to have any. It's for them. I can look after myself and I'm doing great.

---
Day 33: Friday Jan 1, 2010 "HAPPY NEW YEAR"

Went grocery shopping at Coles. As I walked in the door I just happened to notice a sign saying there was 50% off iTunes gift cards between 31/12-6/1. The catch: you must spend $100 or more on groceries. So, my aim was 'to spend over $100.' And I succeeded. I didn't get crap. I got stuff that I could freeze (chicken, salmon, frozen berries) and stuff that would keep (deoderant). I also got some fruit/veg for my family as well as ingredients to make some things for them. Mum has been working so hard lately (after tomorrow's Sat shift she would have done nine (yes nine), shifts straight. Helping out with grocery shopping is the least I can do. I do whatever else I can to help out too - washing, dishes and cooking.

Music is good for you, right? I know it motivates and inspires me and lifts me up when I'm a bit down. I'll enjoy picking some tunes to add to my (currently limited) music library.

---
Day 34: Saturday Jan 2

On my training schedule today was a 12 km easy run in the AM, and an 8 km hard run in the PM. About 5 km into my morning run/walk I decided, and committed to, doing a PT course - ie. Certificate III and IV in Fitness. It was all I could think about during the remainder of my training session. I am so excited! I was thinking about how it's sure to get me out of my comfort zone, build my confidence and, best of all, how I'll be able to be part of the transformation journey in other people. I just know that Gav has helped me regain my passion for the gym again, and helped me see what I can achieve when one commits 110% and are consistent. I've been training with Gav, twice a week (2x 45 min sessions) for 12 weeks now. There has only been two weeks where we haven't trained because he was away, and one week when we only trained once (that was the week he went to Sunshine Coast). We started Tues Sep 29, 2009.

I spent a good part of today researching various RTO's (registered training organisations) and also sms'ing Sarah - who I learned on Wednesday will be doing the PT course too, around April. That works well for me too as I first intend to finish what I started with Gav on my own transformation journey. I can't go and start a PT course 15kg overweight and not being able to do full man pushups, unassisted chinups and unable to run more than 10 mins! So, all in all, a lot of work still to be done. I'm a work in progress! By April I am sure to be gettin' close to my goal body fat composition (of ?18%). Body weight on the scales don't matter - it's the body fat and lean muscle mass that matter. * I won't be doing my training through the Australian Institute of Fitness though. They do a fast track path and I don't want to do that. I need time to develop personally and professionally. Plus I've heard it is exceptionally overpriced!

My newfound desire to be a PT has been half inspired by Tracey - my friend in Christchurch, whom I first met online on a message board/forum. I met Tracey when I was over in Christchurch in April 2009 for my grandmothers funeral (the saddest day of my life). Tracey has recently completed her PT certification and is due to start working at her PTs studio on the Jan 11. It's also been inspired by Sarah - who I'll refer to as my 'bootcamp-freak' friend! Sarah does 5 outdoor bootcamp sessions a week at 6am. Dedication +++. She's amazingly fit. It is a given that Gav has inspired me too. His knowledge, passion and desire to help his clients is something I very much admire. And when he knows his client is 110% focused and committed and 'really wants it', it's like he works doubly (a word) hard to help them achieve amazing results.

I have my business name already, am working on the design now, and have some top ideas floating around my (busy) head. Just another reason why I'm excited about 2010. It just seems to keep getting better!!!

---
Day 35: Sunday Jan 3

Today is my long bike session aimed at building aerobic endurance. Here is a picture of one of my bike shoes with the cleat underneath that clips into the pedal. I had a great ride (mostly). I clearly need to work on my hydration and nutrition strategy as I didn't have enough electrolyte replacement fluid on board because I got a headache (and it was hot, too).

3 comments:

Jules said...

Hi Alena

Thank you. I'm glad you are enjoying it. I'm enjoying writing it. And, I'm enjoying being the creator of my own NOW and my future. How did you find me?

Jules

LellyJ said...

Jules you are so amazingly committed--what an inspiration!

Jules said...

Thanks LellyJ. Being 110% committed is the only way you will achieve stuff. Are you all in or all out? Don't do things in halves. All or nothing, I say! Some may argue that's bad, but whatever works for you.

How are you doing?