Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Living my dream: Ironman New Zealand 2010

Today on Craig Harper's readers were invited to talk about their breakthrough moments of the past or present. My response was as follows:

Jules February 2, 2010 at 4:17 am

Breakthrough moments. Here’s one of mine. As a chronic over-thinker, I decided in early-mid December to take the ‘next step’ and make something I’ve wanted to do for about 8 yrs now actually happen. That ’something’ is doing my first ironman triathlon. Let’s face it, there’s no ‘ideal time’ for anything, hey Craig? So, it’s up to us to make now as ideal as we can. I figured I had the time to train (25′ish hrs a week) as I’m not working. So I made a commitment to do Ironman NZ on 6 March, 2010. Ideally, I would have had another 4 weeks before ‘my big day’ (that makes it sound like my wedding!!), but what I did in the 3 months prior to commencing my NZ prep I feel will get me over the line (ie. PT twice wkly). While there are no guarantees in ironman, I’m going to be at the START line. If I crash or succumb to a medical illness I won’t compromise my own health and safety. Other than for those reasons nothing will stop me from completing the 3.8km swim, attacking the 180km bike course, 5km at a time, and the (42.2km) marathon, 1km at a time. It’s what you make it. Being out there for up to 17 hrs sounds like torture (to most people) but for me it’s a massive opportunity for personal growth.

* You can follow my progress on Sat 6 March via a live athlete tracker on ironman.com from 07:00 AM NZ time. The 17 hr cutoff is midnight (NZ time). Search for me by name “Julia Shaw.” I’d appreciate you cheering me on.

Jules February 2, 2010 at 4:23 am
 
Crazy ironman-to-be here (again). I just checked the competitor list on the Ironman NZ website and I now have a Race Number. # 443. I’m so much more excited now!!! (like I wasn’t before!!!) I think seeing my race number just made it 1,000 times more real. THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING. I MADE IT HAPPEN. I’ve created this for myself. Ironman NZ has been running now for 25 yrs. This year is its 26th year. Craig is right – it’s up to us to create our own ‘breakthrough moment.’

"And that's all I have to say about that." - Forrest Gump.

Go live YOUR dream. Stop thinking, talking and writing about it. LIVE IT NOW.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Hey Jules... you prob wont get this til after.... GOOD LUCK !!!! I hope it goes well. Take care of yourself before during and after the big race. And most of all.... HAVE FUN. YOU. ARE. AMAZING. I'm proud for you. x

Nicole said...

I'm such a dick. I was sure the race was feb, but its march... tehehehehe

Jules said...

Thanks Nic. Means a lot to have your support. I can't wait for this! It's all still so surreal for me. It might hit me when I touch down in Auckland? Or maybe when we arrive in Taupo at the ironman village.

I'm planning on changing the face of (up to) "17 hours of pain." Pain is my friend and my greatest teacher, right? I'm going to share my mental strategies in my next post. Because, let's face it, in an event like this, it is just as important as the actual (physical) race. If not more so? It's a bunch of quotes that I like and some things I've written to help me focus on 'my big day' and some games to play in my head to keep me going forwards. Going to embed them in my head a few times a day from now.

I hope you'll be watching me on ironman.com on SAT 6 MARCH!

Love, Jules